The Union of Mediterranean Confederations of Enterprises (BUSINESSMED), is a regional professional organization that was created thanks to the will, determination, and tenacity of the federations’ presidents and members. The union, whose main objective is economic integration with Europe and the World economy, aims to accelerate social and economic development in the region. ICC Syria has been a member of BUSINESSMED since its inception.
The BUSINESSMED headquarters, based in Tunis since its founding in January 2004, ensures permanent contact with the federations of the twelve Mediterranean partner countries that it represents.
Missions and objectives
Employers in the countries within the Mediterranean Basin have called for the implementation of a strong and coherent economic strategy with the objective of liberalizing North-South and South-South exchanges, ensuring prosperity of people, and enhancing sustainability of Mediterranean patrimony.
This will be achieved through the following objectives:
• Mediterranean integration
• Increasing exchange between the European Union and the Mediterranean countries
• Enhancing technological transfer towards South-Mediterranean countries
• Increasing foreign direct investment flows
• Implementing a regulatory framework for investors
• Endeavoring to make the Union for the Mediterranean not only political, but also economic and social
• Creating a free trade area around the Mediterranean basin by 2010
• Undertaking partnership actions between the various business communities in the region
• Lobbying for more active private sector participation in governmental decisions, in order to achieve a prosperous free trade